When founded, Tony was named Deer Tail, as the village is located on Deer Tail Creek.
In 1885 the Soo Line Railroad was built through Deer Trail. However, the town didn’t boom until the John Hein Co. moved to Deer Trail in 1897. The town was later renamed Tony after Hein’s son, Anthony.
Once the Hein Co. moved into Deer Trail it eventually owned and ran most of town’s businesses. It even operated its own railroad. The arrival and expansion by the Hein Co. was the major reason for the town’s growth.
North of the Village, Josie Creek empties into Lake Flambeau which is home to walleye, smallmouth bass, the fighting musky and a variety of pan fish.
Josie Creek County Park, offers three firearm ranges and an archery target trail.